Ahoy me hearties! Seems that those Pesky Pigs have over-run the farm this weekend, the scurvy dogs! They’re celebrating international talk like a pirate day (19th September) in style and, being as addled as ever, they’ve unearthed this list of their favourite pirate movie trivia treasures! So why hesitate? Check out their booty! Fairwinds to ye!
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003): It’s a well-known fact that this Disney franchise was developed from one of its theme park rides but it’s less well known that this was in fact the first film to premiere at Disneyland.
2. Sinbad the Sailor (1947): Due to a strike the release of Sinbad the Sailor was delayed and therefore missed its anticipated Christmas release – the film that replaced its place on RKO’s Christmas list was a little film called It’s a Wonderful Life.
3. A film titled Treasure Island was released every decade of the last century apart from the 1940’s.
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006): The body count of the film is 82.
5. The Goonies (1985): Spielberg sent the young stars of the film to watch Michael Jackson in concert during filming.
6. Pirates of Penzance (1983): John Travolta was considered for the role of The Pirate King.
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007): Keith Richards, appearing as Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp)’s father, got so drunk on set that he had to be propped up by the film’s director.
8. Muppet Treasure Island (1996): While shooting Tim Curry tried to wear a peg leg for his character Long John Silver but he chose to use a crutch instead as the peg leg was too uncomfortable.
9. Hook (1991): Bob Hoskins (Smee) bought a beer for over 300 extras after the filming of one scene in the movie.
10. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007): Apparently after the credits have finished there is a scene which shows Will returning to Elizabeth and their son, William Turner III.