Everybody loves their mum, right? Mother’s Day is coming up and it’s a chance to show how you feel and repay your debt of gratitude… but not all movie mums are quite as nice. With that in mind Roobla presents the top ten horrible mums who make the life of their children an absolute misery!
10. Mary, played by Monique in Precious (2009)
Totally reprehensible and loathsome. A real risk-taking performance by Monique who, up until then, was known only as a comedienne.
9. Pamela Voorhees, played by Betsy Palmer in Friday The 13th (1980)
Who is she? (Plot spoiler alert!) Only one of the worst mass murderers in movie history!
8. Margaret White, played by Piper Laurie in Carrie (1976)
A really horrible nut case who is really nasty to poor Sissy Spacek. Ends up as a human pin cushion.
7. Shaun’s Mum, played by Penelope Wilton in Shaun of the Dead (2003)
Starts off really, really nice, but turns into a flesh-eating, crazed zombie.
6. Momma Lift, played by Anne Ramsey in Throw Momma From The Train (1987)
So horrible that her son wants to throw her from a train. Speaks for itself really.
5. Donna Sheridan, played by Meryl Streep in Mama Mia (2008)
Wears 70’s spandex outfits, sleeps around and bursts into song in public places. Contender for most embarrassing mum ever.
4. Norma Bates, played by Anthony Perkins in Psycho (1960)
Murderous, controlling, disapproving and decaying. (And played by her son in drag)
3. Joan Crawford, played by Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest (1981)
The allegedly true story of film legend Joan Crawford’s abusive relationship with her daughter. Beware the wire coat hangers.
2. Judith Madigan, played by Jamie Lee Curtis in Mother’s Boys (1994)
Potentially the worst mother-in-law a girl could ever have!
1. Janine ‘Smurf’ Cody, played by Jacki Weaver in Animal Kingdom (2010)
Any mother who would order her own grandson to be murdered has to be the worst mother ever committed to celluloid.